Turkey + Sweet Potato Thanksgiving Dog Treats
Hi all! Thanksgiving is right around the corner! The one time of the year everyone comes together to make all their homemade favorites. I personally don't like to exclude my dogs from these traditions so every year I try to make an extra special homemade treat for them as well! I try to incorporate some of the same foods I will be eating on this beloved holiday. Last year I made a Muttloaf, this year I am attempting Turkey and Sweet Potato treats!
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of oats
- 2 tbsp of honey
- parsley or cilantro
1. Cook your sweet potato. Either by placing it in a 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, or you can do like I did and microwave your sweet potato for 8-10 minutes.
2. Remove the skin from your cooked sweet potato. Add the inside of the sweet potato into a blender or food processor (I used my single serve smoothie blender). Slowly add in more sweet potato, 1 egg, and cilantro leaves.
3. Now put that sweet potato mix into a large bowl. Add your ground turkey, oats, cinnamon, honey, and a tad more cilantro.
4. Here's the fun part. Mix all the ingredients together using your hands, until well combined.
5. Spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick spray and pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
6. Roll your mixture into a small ball. About the size of a meatball or ping pong ball. You can go smaller depending on your pups size.
7. Cook for 20-25 minutes. This recipe will make about 30-40 treats!
8. Let cool for 5 minutes
9. and serve!
10. Refrigerate for storage
I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!
- Bones and Blogs